The pier extends from Waukegan harbor into the lake.
Directions to the Government Pier:
- From I-94, take Highway 132 (Grand Ave) east.
- Continue till the road ends.
- South (Right) on Pershing Rd.
- East (Left) on Madison St.
- The entrance to the harbor parking lot is immediately on the right side of the road.
Fishing options at the Government Pier:
- Casting spoons, jigs or lures on either side of the pier.
- Bobber or Tightline fishing on the Lake side of the pier.
- There is too much boat traffic for Bobber or Tightline fishing on the harbor side of the pier.
Best times to fish the Government Pier:
- Coho Salmon - April, May and October.
- Chinook Salmon - April, May and September through October.
- Brown Trout - October through June.
- Steelhead - October through May.
- Perch - May through July.
- Smelt - April and May.