Many things can be changed to modify or alter the action of Trolling Flys:
- For faster action shorten the leader between the dodger or flasher and the fly.
- For slower action lengthen the leader between the dodger or flasher and the fly.
- Using heavier line for the leader increase the action to the fly.
- Different types of hooks will give slightly different actions. Trebble vs Single hooks because of water resistance.
- Different types of knots will give slightly different actions. Snelled trebble hooks give a more erratic action to the fly, because of the offset nature of the knot. Knots that rest on the top of the hook eye give a more stable action.
- Adding weight to the hook (split shot, piece of worm, piece of squid, etc) will give the fly a more erratic action.